This page can hopefully answer many of the questions you might have regarding ski and snowboard lesson programs in Mt. Bachelor's Gravity School. Use these links to jump down the page to the information most relevant to what you're looking for:
- Defining Ability Levels
- Lift Ticket/Pass Requirements when Taking a Lesson
- What to Wear and What to Bring
- Where to Go
- When to Arrive
- Lesson Calendar: Peak Days vs. Non-Peak Days
- Kids Multi-Week Lesson Program Info
- Cancellation Policy
DEFINING ABILITY LEVELS
When you sign-up for a ski or snowboard lesson, you'll be asked to select which (approximate) level the participant has reached in his or her progression. Review this link to better understand which skills correspond to which levels and what to expect during the lesson:
LIFT TICKET/PASS REQUIREMENTS WHEN TAKING A LESSON
Lesson participants must have a valid lift ticket for their lesson day, or have a season pass. Unless otherwise stated in the lesson product description, tickets & passes are sold separately from lessons and the lesson price does not include a lift ticket.
For beginner lessons, the Progression Lift Ticket is the best lift ticket product to purchase for use during the lesson. The Progression Lift Ticket is $39 for all ages (when purchased online, in advance) and allows for access to the following lifts:
- Chipmunk covered conveyor carpet at West Village base area (access allowed during the lesson only)
- Little Pine chairlift at West Village base area (all day access)
- First Rays and Lava Tube covered conveyor carpets at Sunrise base area (all day access)
- Early Riser and Alpenglow chairlifts at Sunrise base area (all day access)
While it is not possible to ski between the West Village and Sunrise base areas using the Progression Lift Ticket, guests are invited to use the Interlodge Shuttle to transfer between base areas if desired.
We strongly recommend purchasing a lift ticket in advance, online . Lift tickets purchased in-person, on premises at Mt. Bachelor are $10 higher than the online price. Visit our Current Deals page to see if there are discounted ticket offers available.
"OnePass" is the name of Mt. Bachelor's electronic ticket card that all guests use to access Mt. Bachelor's chairlifts. All purchased lift tickets, season passes, rentals and lessons are loaded onto a guest's individual OnePass card, which is non-transferable and assigned to one person. If you do not have a OnePass in your possession you will need to visit one of our locations to pick one up prior to heading to your lesson meeting area:
- Mt. Bachelor Mountain Gateway - 13000 SW Century Drive, Bend OR 97702
- Bend - 531 SW 13th Street, Bend OR 97702
- Sunriver - 57100 Beaver Drive, Sunriver OR 97707
WHAT TO WEAR AND WHAT TO BRING
To have the best experience possible, it is best to be prepared for all weather conditions because they tend to vary and change quickly. Mt. Bachelor does not rent clothing or eye wear, but should you need to purchase any of the items below, our Gravity Sports team in the West Village Mountain Gateway building can assist. There is also smaller branch of Gravity Sports inside the Sunrise Lodge rental center with a collection of accessories available for purchase.
Make sure you wear or bring:
- Waterproof jacket and pants
- Insulated water-resistant gloves and possibly a second pair should it be a storm day
- Goggles or sunglasses
- Helmet; all lesson participants 17 years old and younger are required to wear a helmet. These can be rented at the mountain.
- Face mask or scarf
- Extra base layers; fleece, long johns, vest, etc.
- Ski socks; layering multiple pairs of socks is not recommended.
WHERE TO GO
Please review your confirmation email to know which base area your program is headquartered.
IF YOUR PROGRAM IS HEADQUARTERED AT SUNRISE LODGE...
There is a brown highway sign on Century Drive indicating where to turn left for Sunrise Lodge, which is the first point of entry to Mt. Bachelor as you approach the mountain.
There are multiple parking areas – an upper, middle and lower lot. You are welcome to park in any, but the middle lot is closest to your check-in area within the Sunrise Lodge rental center.
Please note that on busy weekend days, the Sunrise parking lots can reach capacity by mid-morning. It may be necessary to park at the West Village parking lot and take our Interlodge Shuttle over to Sunrise Lodge.
IF YOUR PROGRAM IS HEADQUARTERED AT WEST VILLAGE...
Follow Century Drive to the end of the road, in the winter the Cascade Lakes Highway is closed and you will automatically be directed towards Mt. Bachelor’s West Village parking lot.
If your child is 5 years old or younger you can head directly to the Mountain Ripper Room found in the lower level of West Village Lodge, at the top of the heated concrete walkway.
For all students ages 6 and older, rental equipment and lift tickets can be collected in the Mountain Gateway. Our staff will direct you to the proper location based on your specific needs. If the lesson student already has a valid lift ticket for the day (or a season pass) and does not need to rent equipment at the mountain, the student can proceed directly to the on snow meeting location to check-in for the lesson.
WHEN TO ARRIVE
FOR STUDENTS AGES 5 & UNDER
For all students 5 years and younger please arrive in the Mountain Ripper Room 1-hour prior to the program start time. During weekends and holiday periods, the Mountain Ripper Room opens at 8:00 a.m.; otherwise the Mountain Ripper Room opens at 8:30 a.m.
FOR STUDENTS AGES 6 & OLDER (INCLUDING TEENS & ADULTS)
If the student requires rental equipment and needs to buy or pick up a lift ticket/OnePass:
The rental process can take potentially 90 minutes during busy weekends and holiday periods, so plan accordingly such that you can enter the building 90 minutes prior to your program start time. Please take road conditions and holiday business levels into consideration as this can add up to 90 minutes to your drive time. Our staff can facilitate your equipment rental and sell you a lift ticket. Note that a legal parent/guardian signature is required on the equipment rental form. After you finish the rental process, one of our team members will direct you to the on-snow lesson meeting area. On-snow check-in varies based on the program purchased, please check your confirmation email for your program’s start time and location.
If the student has his/her own equipment, but does not yet have a lift ticket/OnePass:
Visit any open ticket window and purchase (or pick up a pre-purchased) lift ticket/OnePass. Plan on arriving 1-hour prior to your program start time. Please take road conditions and holiday business levels into consideration as this can add up to 90 minutes to your drive time.
After you finish purchasing or picking up a lift ticket/OnePass, one of our team members will direct you to the on-snow lesson meeting area. On-snow check-in varies based on the program purchased, please check your confirmation email for your program’s start time and location.
If the student has equipment and a valid lift ticket/OnePass or a Season pass already:
Proceed directly to the on-snow lesson meeting area at the specified time and location as defined in your confirmation email.
LESSON CALENDAR: PEAK DAYS VS. NON-PEAK DAYS
Mt. Bachelor's Gravity School operates on a calendar of "peak" days and "non-peak" days. For many programs, there is no difference between peak days and non-peak days, other than non-peak days are likely to be less crowded and can potentially offer a more customized learning experience. Each specific lesson program will identify whether or not there is a pricing or availability difference between peak days and non-peak days.
KIDS MULTI-WEEK LESSON PROGRAM INFO
Please review your purchase confirmation letter for specific information about the multi-week lesson program meeting dates, times and locations. Additionally, please review the information in these links to better familiarize yourself with the program:
All Gravity School programs (and Childcare) have a 24-hour Cancellation Policy: If you need to cancel or change a lesson or childcare reservation, please contact us at least 24 hours prior to the lesson or child care date. To cancel or change a reservation 24 hours or more in advance of your session start date, contact us at 541-382-1709. Feel free to give us a call or e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have questions or concerns. Thank you!
For Childcare and all Gravity School lesson programs, excluding Kids Multi-Week Programs, the following Cancellation Policy applies:
- Cancellations or changes within 24 hours of reservation date are subject to a $25 fee.
- Cancellations or no shows the day of the reservations will forfeit 100% of the reservation product cost.
For Kids Multi-Week Lesson Programs, the following Cancellation Policy applies:
- Cancellations are allowed without penalty and eligible for a full refund with at least 24 hours of notice prior to the session start date/time.
- Cancellations/changes within 24 hours of the session start date/time are subject to a $25 close-in cancellation/change fee, to be subtracted from the refund amount.
- There are no refunds for any session that has started or is underway. Once a session begins, changes are not allowed. Although the nine-week programs are offered on Saturdays and Sundays, children cannot mix & match Saturday & Sunday attendance. All Session 2 participants must attend only on Saturdays while all Session 3 participants must attend only on Sundays.
- The program fee is structured such that each enrolled participant is paying for the option to attend every lesson day offered during the session. Mt. Bachelor is reserving a spot for your child each day of the session. Accordingly, program fees are not pro-rated on a per-day basis and there shall be no provision for partial refunds in the event a child misses one or more lesson days.
- There are no make-up days for individuals who miss a lesson day.
- In the rare of event of a full mountain closure on a lesson day, Mt. Bachelor will designate a make-up day for all affected session participants. If a student cannot or chooses not to participate on the designated make-up day, there will be no additional make-up days provided.