If you plan to hike to the 9,065 foot summit, you can either start at the Sunrise Lodge base area (park along Century Drive) and go directly to the top, or take the Pine Marten Lift (chairlift ticket required) from the West Village base to the mid-mountain level at 7,775 feet and hike from there to the summit. Please be aware, however, that any hiking trails above the Pine Marten Lodge are uncontrolled and are not patrolled; you will be hiking at your own risk.
HELPFUL TIPS TO BEING PREPARED
- Be aware of snowpack. Many of the trails will remain under heavy snowpack until mid-summer, sometimes later.
- Due to the large amount of lava rock, we highly recommend wearing sturdy hiking shoes or boots.
- Be sure to dress in layers that can be easily added or removed. Central Oregon weather can change rapidly, especially at higher elevations. It is not uncommon to go from sun to rain and back again.
- As with any hike, be prepared for all conditions.
- Bring extra water, sunscreen, sunglasses, a long-sleeved layer or light jacket, as well as any other items typically brought on a hike.
- Patrollers are stationed at mid-mountain during published chairlift hours of operation. If you choose to hike above the Pine Marten Lodge, please be aware that area is uncontrolled and not patrolled. You will be hiking at your own risk.
GRAVITY SPORTS AT MOUNTAIN GATEWAY
Did you forget something? Don’t worry, Gravity Sports has a variety of merchandise, including sunscreen, sunglasses, outerwear, signature wear and water bottles. Ski and snowboard gear is also available from the previous winter season and select merchandise is deeply discounted. More info HERE.